International Forum on Child Poverty
November 11, 2011
NCCP participated in the 2011 International Forum on Child Poverty, in Seoul, South Korea in November. The forum was hosted by the Honorable Myung Soon Kang, a Member of the Korean National Assembly, in partnership with distinguished members of the National Assembly Research Forum on Poverty Extermination in South Korea. The aims of the forum were to discuss current situations, measures and policies regarding efforts to tackle child poverty in the UK, US, and Korea, and the ways to build and strengthen networking and leadership to eradicate child poverty, and to seek international cooperative actions and respective roles in alleviating child poverty.
Yumiko Aratani, acting director of Health and Mental Health, represented NCCP and gave a presentation entitled, Child Poverty and Social Welfare Policies and Programs that Target Low-income Families with Children.
- SHIM Jae-Chul, Co-Chair of the National Assembly Research Forum on Poverty Extermination
- KANG Myung-Soon, Co-Chair of the National Assembly Research Forum on Poverty Extermination
- PARK Hee-Tae, Speaker of the National Assembly Republic of Korea
- Chung Ui-Hwa, Vice Speaker of the National Assembly Republic of Korea
- HONG Jun-Pyo, Chairman of the Grand National Party National Assembly of the Republic of Korea
- RIM Che-Min, Minister of Health and Welfare Republic of Korea
- KIM Kum-Lae, Minister of Gender Equality and Family Republic of Korea
- LEE Ju-Ho, Minister of Education, Science and Technology
- Child Poverty, U.S Social Welfare Policies and Programs for Low-income Families with Children
- International Comparison on Child Well-Being
- Government Policy on Child Poverty in United Kingdom and Korea
- Child Poverty Unity Presentation to the Korean Government & Parliament
1. Tackling Child Poverty in the UK
2. Child Poverty in the UK
Child Poverty Unit (CPU)
Dr. Yumiko Aratani, National Center for Children in Poverty
Dr. Meesook Kim, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs
Hon. KANG Myung-Soon, National Assembly Republic of Korea
Yumiko Aratani, presenting along with other panelists: Dr. Kim, Dr. Kang, Dr. Lee, and Mr. Rhee at the International Forum on Child Poverty.
Dr. Kang in the center along with Dr. Aratani with the forum participants and Korean children.
Dr. Kang, Dr. Aratani, and Dr. Lee